Saturday, April 19, 2008

Finally...First ride on Stylee


I fought the weather yesterday and I finally got on Stylee. I thought about putting it off till a better suited day weather wise but i had already amped myself up and the wind didn't seem to bother him.


I started out lunging him first, on the left rein he was fine, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him, but he struggled a little bit on the right rein. His bad eye was on the inside and he couldn't see around the circle properly, but he still tried his heart out and progressively got better.


Once he had had a walk, trot and canter on each rein, it was time to get on. My heart was racing which was strange for me, I don't usually get nervous around my own horses, but I guess the accident made me lose confidence (especially when I saw him fall over all those times). I hoped he wouldn't fall over with me on him. I got on slowly, he didn't bat an eye lid. I started walking him around, letting him sort out himself, he was very wobbly. It felt like I was riding a drunk horse. If I didn't guide him with my outside rein, he would wobbly and fall out to the outside.
After a few laps he started to get the swing of things, he was still wobbly, but he could walk in a reasonably straight line. Time for a little trot. He was being very lazy, which I didn't really mind, but he sprang into a nice energetic trot which was quite well balanced. I realised the more forward I rode him, the better balanced he was. I brought him back to a walk and he seemed much better.

Back to his old tricks!

P.S: I swear my cat thinks it's a dog, she's carrying a sock around in her mouth and growling...

0 comments: